Wednesday 1 July 2020

Back in the saddle

Hi everyone,

Learning to live in Lockdown

Lockdown 2020 has thrown up a lot of challenges for pretty much everyone across the globe. For me, this has meant adjusting to working from home which has taken a bit of time to get used to, and to get into a workable work/life balance.

I very quickly realised that I missed my daily commute. I’ve always said that this is my “thinking time”. On the way to work it’s my time to think about what my plan for work is, what else I need to do during the day, it’s also the time where I can call doctor/school/dentist etc to make appointments or whatever. On the way home it’s my time to process my workday, think about what I have to do in the evening as well as whatever else is going on in the life of my family. It’s the time where I speak to people only if I choose to, and I don’t hear “mum, where’s …” , “mum, can you….” “mummmmmmm”.

I also came to the realisation that this is also my winding down time, where I can switch off working Deb, and turn on home Mum, so without this commute, I found it very hard to switch off from work, it would carry on into the evenings and weekends so that I didn’t feel like I was doing anything else but work.
But once I did realise this, I made a conscious effort to “leave work” one Friday night and spent the whole weekend relaxing, just chilling out without looking at work email or checking the work social media channels or messages. And I think I needed it, the creative juices started flowing again and I got back into the greenhouse, pottering around with seeds and tiny plants.
So I started managing my weeks a bit better, setting aside set working hours and then remembering to walk away from it when my work day was done. Sometimes it’s still a wee bit of a struggle, I was answering social media enquiries at 11.30pm the other night, but on the whole I think I’ve got it more or less sussed.


Rediscovering my craft

As most of you know, I love to colour, but because I have a creative job that’s pretty all-consuming it’s been a long time since I’ve had the time or motivation to do any colouring. I rarely make cards, not even for fun, if I have to make a card for any reason it’s usually last minute and very quick ‘n’ easy. 

So when Krista Smith announced she would be having a Colouring Challenge from the 1st to 5th June, it really ignited something – I know how corny that sounds but it’s true. I was excited about it!
So I printed off some of Krista’s Digi stamps and after such a long time sat down to colour again.  

I’m surprised no bats or moths flew out when I opened my case of promarkers and flexmarkers. But it was like I’d never been away from them, it really is like riding a bike!
Sadly though, the more I coloured, the more of my markers I found to have dried out and I had to admit to myself that their days were numbered.


Some of you may know that I used to be Product Coach for Scotland for Letraset – the company that created and made Promarkers, Flexmarkers and Tria Markers. The directors of Letraset sold the company to a company called ColArt who also own brands like Winsor & Newton, Elephant Art and Snazaroo. Unfortunately, they decided to integrate the Promarkers into the Winsor & Newton brand and completely ditched the Tria and Flexmarker ranges, rebranding the Promarkers and launching their own Brushmarkers.
Letraset worked closely and took on board feedback from the craft community as well as the more traditional art community. ColArt/Winsor & Newton don’t seem to have the same interest (in my opinion) and don’t seem to put any effort into the craft market.
So because of this, I decided that I need to find a replacement range of markers….. 

thanks for visiting, 
it's always nice to hear what you think so feel free to leave me a comment 
Debz

P.S.
image; "Smokin' Hot" from Krista Smith
papers: My Minds Eye
media: promarkers

No comments:

New Baby 1

My boss at work, and friend Charlotte recently had her first baby so I had a few baby cards to make, on for Charlotte and her husband James,...