Tuesday 12 May 2009

Colouring with Promarkers #1 - Hair (brunette)

I'm asked a lot about how I colour my images with promarkers - especially the hair, so I'm going to show you how I do it. This is not a tutorial because I'm in no way qualified to give lessons, its just the way I do it. I use concord card which I buy from Caboodle and Memento Tuxedo Black ink for stamping my images.
For this "how to.." I have used the Sitting Gorjuss Girl image from Sugar Nellie.
Firstly I choose about 4 or 5 promarkers from the same colour family, for brown hair I usually use Sandstone, Cinnamon, Cocoa, Burnt Umber and Umber.

I start off with the palest colour, in this case its sandstone, and roughly colour any areas I want highlighted. It helps to imagine where the light source is coming from.

Then I take the next darkest colour (cinnamon) and colour with inward strokes around the pale areas, if the promarker has dried you may need to blend the 2 colours - I do this with the palest colour, taking the strokes from the darker colour towards the paler colour.

I then repeat this for each gradually darker colour, keeping the darkest colour for areas that are in shadow - for instance the hair behind the character's neck and the very tips.

Once the ink has dried on the page, I take either a sakura white gelly roll pen or an inkssential white pen and draw on some highlights on the lightest areas.

So this is what the finished article will look like

this technique works for almost any colour of hair, I have used it for brunette, black (using 5 shades of warm grey promarkers), blue, pink, green, auburn etc
I'll be posting more"how to..." with promarkers soon.



13 comments:

Kath Stewart said...

great tutorial Debbi...you made it look so easy....Hugs Kath xxxx

Linanna DESIGNS said...

This is such a fabulous tutorial Debbi, thank you so much, im struggling to get the shading so this will help no end. Thank you hugs Linda x

scotspanda said...

oooh thanks for this hun, I have to admit I love my promarkers but do need help with the hair :o)

I will be trying this out asap!

lotsalove

Amanda xx

Manda said...

You make it look so easy! Will need to keep practising!
Fab TUTORIAL!

Mar G said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rach said...

HIya Debbi,
great tutorial honey. Hair is always so hard to do.. well for me it is anyway...
hope that you get over your cold soon.. xx like your idea of the hot toddy and off to bed early.. very tempting..
xxx

DawnMarie said...

Fab tutorial Debs, hair looks amazing. Hugs Dawn Marie.xx

Rastlinica said...

Love your tutorial and also yll of your creations...
I like also to colour with promarkers, they are great!

Mar G said...

Excellent 'How To...' :-)
Fab tips!

sugarnellie said...

As the others have said, thank you for taking the time to show us how is should be done, not where are my pens?
I think the highlighting with white makes all the difference, lifts it off the card.
Thank you Debbi :)

Kim said...

You rock wiccababe! I love your tutorials, very, very enlightening. Thanks so much.

Anonymous said...

Fabby tutorials, Debbi!
Maria xx

Suzi Mac said...

You have just who I've been looking for. I bought promarkers recently at the SECC so a real novice, your tutorials are great, thank you. I'll be back to visit often.
Suzi x

New Baby 1

My boss at work, and friend Charlotte recently had her first baby so I had a few baby cards to make, on for Charlotte and her husband James,...