Saturday 13 November 2010

How to.... Penny Black Snowmen

Firstly, I'd just like to say a big thank you to everyone who left such lovely comments about last week's Hedgehog tutorial and I hope you like this one just as much.


This is the second of my series of 4 Penny Black tutorials for the Penny Black Saturday Challenge and I had to stick to the theme for this week which is "All my favourite things" well that was no hardship I can tell you!


So to start with I stamp the image with Memento Tuxedo Black ink onto SU whisper white card...

And here are the colours I'll be using - plus the blender pen.

I'll start off by colouring the snowman, all I'm trying to achieve here is to give him a bit of shape, because we all know that snowmen are white. Using very light, short strokes I have coloured from the outline inwards in the areas where I imagine there would be shadow with Powder Blue...

My next step was to soften the harsh lines of the Powder Blue by colouring over the top with the Blender pen, I've held the image in front of my desk lamp so that you can see where I have used the blender...
 And this is how it looks once the blender has dried...
I've repeated the Powder Blue and Blender for the snow on the ground...

Moving onto his hat and scarf, I have very lightly coloured some of the stripes with Orchid, I've used very light strokes as I want to keep it quite pale (if I was more heavy-handed I would be laying down more ink and the effect would be darker)

I've then used the same light strokes to fill in the other stripes with Arctic Blue

Next I'm going to add some shading. I've used very light, short strokes to add some Purple to the areas I think would be most in shadow..

Using small circular movements with the Orchid, I have coloured over the Purple areas and slightly outwards, this blends the 2 shades...


Here, I've coloured the shadow areas of the blue stripes with Sky Blue, again using short, light strokes..

And blended them with the Arctic Blue as before...

I wanted a little more depth, so I repeated the process of adding Sky Blue and Purple to the shadow areas and blending, this builds up the depth of colour. Repeat this process until you are happy with the depth...

 I coloured the tassles by using long, light strokes of Arctic & Sky Blues and Orchid & Purple, and then coloured the parcel with the same colours. I used Sky Blue to colour his nose and added some highlights to his nose and the parcel with a white gel pen. I also added Polar White Flowersoft to the pom-pom on his hat....


Here's the finished card...
So this week's theme at Penny Black Saturday Challenge is "all my favourite things" and these are mine...
promarkers!, snow, purple, charms, and trying something new (the white on white theme)
and if you haven't already been over at PBSC, then hurry now and see all the fabulous designs by the DT.


I'd also like to enter my card into the following challenges...
Cute Card Thursday - Anything Goes
ABC Challenge - H for Holidays
I Love Promarkers - Icy Colours
Simon Says - Prince Charming
A Spoonful of Sugar - Snow/Snowflakes




23 comments:

Kath Stewart said...

another fabulous tutorial debbi and gorgeous card...big thank you for joining us as Guest Designer over at Penny Black Saturday...can't wait for next week...hugs kath xxx

janette.tay said...

Wow Debbie what an amazing tutorial, the card is lovely, thank you for taking the time to do this. I want a box of these from Santa!

xxx

Debs M said...

gorgeous, great image and fab tutorial! i really don't use my blender pen much at all x

martina's kaartjes said...

This is pretty ! thanks for the tips !! greetings from rainy belgium,
martina
x

Karen said...

Great tutorial Debbie and I love this image too. Your card is gorgeous, love all the snowflakes, thanks for joining us at I ♥ ProMarkers.
xx

Joey said...

Hiya Debbi

this is gorgeous, beautiful colour selecion! thanks for Gdt at pbsc again this week

Joey.xx

Valérie Goldenschue said...

your card is fantastic, I love what you do with snowflakes, and I love snowmen !!!!!!

Cathy said...

Gorgeous card Debbie and thank you for the tutorial.
Thank you for joining in the ABC Challenge this time.
Cathy xx

Lorraine said...

Gorgeous and a good tute too. Thanks for taking part at I ♥ Promarkers this week.

elibeegifts.co.uk said...

Great tutorial.Your colouring is lovely and the card is gorgeous.Love the snowflakes.
Elisa.x

Sarah said...

A fab tutorial showing such detail and how to make a professional coloured image - the only thing that is disappointing is that I need to buy more promakers cause I only have a couple of the ones you used! lol
Hugs Sarah x

Janine said...

Love the colours, your card, everything and thanks for the tutorial.

Kat said...

Stunning card Debbi, amazing detail. And thanks for another very clear tutorial.

Kat xx

Rufus said...

Love your snowman! Thanks for the tutorial.
R/

katesacraftybugger said...

absolutely gorgeous-fantastic tutorial too- thanks for joining us at I ♥ promarkers this week -Kate x

LorraineM said...

Thanks for a great tutorial. Love the snowman

email: Steph@SimonSaysStamp.com said...

An adorable snowman! Great job with the coloring :) I also really like the snowflakes!!

Thanks so much for entering the Simon Says Stamp Challenge!!!

-Sarah

debby4000 said...

Gorgeous, sweet snowman card and fab tutorial.
Thanks for joining us at Simon Says Stamps.
luv
Debby

Julie said...

A gorgeous card, lovely image and fab snowflakes.
Great tutorial!
Thanks for joining us at I ♥ ProMarkers.
Julie W x

Vanja said...

Beautiful card! I love the image. Fantastic tutorial.
Thank you for joining us at CCT! :)

Hugs, Vanja

Sharon Cs. said...

I think this is one of the most beautiful card I ever saw, thanks for sharing, really, thank you.

Sharon Cs. said...

Beautiful work! Thank you for sharing, it is really beautiful.

Sharon Cs. said...

Beautiful work! You are really an artist.

New Baby 1

My boss at work, and friend Charlotte recently had her first baby so I had a few baby cards to make, on for Charlotte and her husband James,...