Saturday 25 July 2009

Happy 3rd Birthday Fayfee

Its my baby's 3rd birthday today - I have no idea what happened to the last 3 years, it just seems like 5 minutes since she was born. I can remember it so well. So I'm going to bore you with the gory details... 

My waters broke at 3.30am, luckily I had been getting out of bed to go to the toilet anyway and I'd dumped the towel I'd used after my shower at the side of the bed. I then phoned Graham's rig because he was offshore and asked the guy in the control room to pass on a message for me when Graham got up later. And when I told him that the message was that I was in labour I thought he was away to have a canary, he spluttered that he's get someone to wake Graham straight away lol. So after that I phoned my mum and dad, so that my mum could come in and get Willow, who was only 21 months old. I then phoned the maternity hospital to let them know I was in labour and my contractions were about 5 minutes apart, and they told me to stay put, take a couple paracetamol and if i felt like taking a bath then that was fine too - they were in no hurry to see me, even though I'd explained this was my 3rd child. They told me I couldn't phone an ambulance to take me as it wasn't an emergency, and suggested I drive myself up if my partner was offshore (it would appear that this midwife had never been in labour herself!!)

Graham then phoned in a complete panic, and I explained what was going on, don't think he took any of it in though lol. So in between contractions, I got Willow up, dressed and packed a bag for her to go and stay at Nana's house. Made myself some breakfast and a cup of tea. My mum arrived at half past four and Graham phoned again while I made more tea. My contractions were just over 2 minutes apart by this time and he convinced me to call the maternity hospital back. They allowed me to phone an ambulance at this point - which I thought was mighty white of them!  

The rapid response arrived first to make sure I was ok, and soon after the ambulance arrived - they were amazed at how calm I was, and the cheeky bugger of a paramedic asked if I was having twins - mind you I was pretty big (see pic below, which was taken 2 weeks before she was born, and she was 3 weeks early!!) So I left the house at 5.20am, arrived at the maternity at 5.40am. I had to wait around in the corridor of the labour ward with the paramedics until one of the midwives decided to come and see to me.  So I got up on the bed, and she had a quick look and told me that baby would be arriving in either 20 minutes or 2 hours - I jokingly told her that 20 minutes suited me fine. So she hooked up the gas and air for me and disappeared off to see to another mum in labour. Within minutes I was past the point of no return and had to ring the buzzer thingy a few times. The midwife came in, took one look at me from the doorway and said "if you want to push, go for it" while she skidded over to the sink to wash her hands.

Faith Lauren Brockie was born at 6.03am exactly 23 minutes after arriving at hospital. And OMG I'm actually bubbling while typing this lol. And this is how she looked then...

We're having close family and friends round this afternoon, so hopefully I'll get some pics up once the dust has settled.

13 comments:

The Crafty Den said...

Hi Debbi, sounded very exciting reading it now but I'm sure it all happened so fast at the time. Faith looks so beautiful in the photo - I could eat her up. Hope the day goes well and give her a hug from me. Denise x

Meahni Pieterse said...

My goodness, you were big, I would've been terrified. I know now why I stick to puppies, and all sorts of other animals, after that story, I don't think I would've been as calm and relaxed as you.
Hope you had a great time, and send us a piece of cake, lol! I LUV cake!

Gina said...

"Happy Birthday Faith" hope you have a great day :)
Great pics Debbi, looks like you would have burst if you waited another 5 weeks :)
Hugs Gina xxx

Anonymous said...

A massive happy birthday to Faith, hope she has a wonderful 3rd birthday. Thank you for sharing your story with us, it's amazing what us woman can do eh.
Enjoy your special day with your family, and i look forward to seeing the pics :)
Luv
Suzi
xxx

Max said...

Just like shelling peas eh Debbi LOL??!!
What a cute wee bundle you delivered though. Birthday hugs for Faith today ... hope she has a wonderful day.

Luv'n'stuff
Max
xx

Penny said...

Awww. I love reading people's birth stories :) That is so sweet.

LISA said...

What a lovely story and beautiful baby, happy birthday Faith xxx

Natalie said...

Happy Birthday Faith. I hope you all have a lovely day. x

DawnMarie said...

Awww wee baby fayfee!! She is soooo cute. Gosh did'nt you do well not panicking! I'd have been a nervous wreck lol. Hope you all have a wonderful day. Hugs Dawn Marie.xx

lil-paper-pixie said...

Wowzers that was a big baby bump, how big was she??? She looks so perfect in that photo. Give her a big birthday hug from me.

Sorry I never got to see you this trip, hopefully next time......I did go to Inverness tho.....you wasn't there...LOL!!!

Hugs

Sarah

Anonymous said...

Good God Debbi you did get big!!! Faith looks such a sweetie in that pic xx jo xx

Michele Roos said...

Awwwwwwww Debbi loved reading this, beautiful picture of your bubba. Happy Birthday Faith. Hugs Michele x

Mar G said...

Aww where do the years go?!
I still think you were SO brave & strong going through all that by yourself....(((Hugs))) x

New Baby 1

My boss at work, and friend Charlotte recently had her first baby so I had a few baby cards to make, on for Charlotte and her husband James,...