Monday 20 July 2009

Colouring with Promarkers #6 - Monochrome Colouring

I have chosen "Daisy" by Sugar Nellie as she is my absolute favourite stamp - and also the first one I ever bought. She is stamped onto Stampin' Up Whisper White cardstock using Memento Tuxedo Black ink.
I have used the Cool Greys 1-5 and Black - the Cool Greys are available to buy as a 5-pack, or you can use any of the greys for the same effect if you have at least 3 shades.

Using the palest shade (Cool Grey 1) I have shaded the whole image apart from the areas which would be getting the brightest light. I have imagined the light source coming from the top right hand corner.

I then took the next darkest shade (Cool Grey 2) and shaded slightly less of the image than before (1st pic below) - then took the Cool Grey 1 and blended the shades (2nd pic below) to remove the hard edges. 

I repeated the above process for the next darker shade (Cool Grey 3) the first pic shows the Cool Grey 3 used for a slightly smaller area again and the 2nd pic shows the hard edges removed by blending with the Cool Grey 1

Again I've repeated the above process for the next darker shade (Cool Grey 4) the first pic shows the Cool Grey 4 used for a slightly smaller area again and the 2nd pic shows the hard edges removed by blending with the Cool Grey 1

And the last shade (Cool Grey 5) was used for the areas that are in darkest shadow. Again blending with the Cool Grey 1.

Now, you can either stop at this point or, because I wanted more depth to the image I have used tiny amounts of Black to accentuate some of the shadows, and blended with the Cool Grey 1.

You will notice that the Cool Grey 1 dilutes the darker shades quite a bit, if you want more contrast you can either use a slightly darker shade for blending or build up the layers.
To finish off the image I have picked out the leaves on her head and the dots on the patch on her jeans in Black, and coloured the grass underneath her with Cool Grey 2 and 4.

I decided to accent the image with a dash of Amethyst and Aubergine on the daisies

Want to know the reason I picked Amethyst and Aubergine?........
My youngest daughter Faith was wrapped up like this opposite me at the table after spending the afternoon in the paddling pool.

You can find this and many more tutorials over at the Passion for Promarkers blog - every Friday we publish the Weekend Workshops, as well as a new challenge every Tuesday. If you haven't already been, then you're missing out.

Click on this icon to download the tutorial

 


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow this is stunning Debbi,ireally must give this a go sometime xx jo xx

Unknown said...

Thank you for the wonderful tutorial! I have tried it - here - but I can see I have a lot to learn :-)

*Michaela* said...

Oh, Debbi! This is the most wonderful tutorial! I wish that one day I can come close to coloring like you! FANTASTIC!!! Thank you!

♥ ♥ ♥

Meahni Pieterse said...

I'm so excited to see you share this info! I wanna try it with my pencils... just have to find the time.
Wish me luck.

Dragonlady said...

Hi Debbi

Thank you so much for this tutorial I will have to give it a go.

HUgs Ali x

New Baby 1

My boss at work, and friend Charlotte recently had her first baby so I had a few baby cards to make, on for Charlotte and her husband James,...